Original fine art prints at ONKartMany people think of giclee printing as a way to produce fine art quality reproductions of original art. This is one application of giclee technology. Fewer are aware of the fact that many artists are using the giclee medium to create high quality, creative and collectible original art.
An example of this trend is a recent show of David Hockney original art at the DeYoung museum in San Francisco, among which were many works of art produced as giclee originals.
Giclee is now commonly recognized as a medium for fine art prints similar to prints made from lithographs, woodcuts, etchings and other traditional print media. Many collectors, galleries and museums are collecting art in this medium.
Producing original fine art prints at ONKart
ONKart makes the materials, equipment and technical skill for producing fine are available to artists at an affordable price. ONKart artists have extensive experience producing original giclee prints.
Contact us about creating art at our shop, using all of our equipment and the assistance of an experienced artist/technician. Our standard fee is $50/hour. Classes are also available.
There are various approaches to producing original giclee art.
- Hand made art can be scanned and re-scanned, photographed, combined, cropped and modified in various creative ways and printed on a giclee printer.
- Original art can be produced entirely on the computer, using various graphics software.
- Art can be produced by finger and stylus on iPhones and iPads.
- Photographs from various digital devices can be modified and printed.
- Art, people or other objects can be "photographed" using various effects, lenses and simulated lenses on various digital formats from iPhones and ipads, to any range of novel methods of recording digital files, imported and prepared using graphic arts software and printed.
- An artist friend recently received an MFA degrees in iPhone photography.
Fine art media available to artists making prints at ONKart
- Stretched smooth or textured canvas
- Hot and cold pressed, smooth or texture fine art rag or other kinds of paper media
- Scrim vinyl or other outdoor media
- Various kinds of cloth including, silk, cotton or synthetic materials
- Clear or translucent film for use in light boxes or even as contact "negatives" for traditional chemical development.
- Other media capable of being fed through the giclee printer can be coated and mounted on a stiffening media as media for creative fine art originals.
Equipment available at ONKart
- Epson 9900 Graphic Arts printer: one of Epson's finest state of the art giclee printers produces the highest quality fine art reproductions
- Epson XL 10000 graphic arts scanner: generates high resolution images with good color accuracy that can be enlarged many times without loss of resolution.
- Xrite i1 Photo Pro 2 color spectrometer system: assures accurate color calibration from scanner input to printer output
- Canon Photographic equipment and studio lighting calibrated with ColorChecker software and expodisk light metering: produces high quality digital images with excellent color accuracy.
- Photographic mounting and lighting equipment for photographing artwork or other art targets.
- High speed imac computer with 24GB of DRAM and 2048MB of graphics memory, as well as the latest Adobe and other graphics software.
- Tools for cutting, mounting framing, grommeting all art media.